So, you’ve just gotten new sterling silver jewelry? Congratulations! It looks beautiful on you! Want to keep your jewelry looking new and stunning? I’m here to give you some tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your new jewelry!
To Wear or Not To Wear?
You love your new silver jewelry, and you would wear it 24/7 if you could. But when is a good time to take a break from your silver?
Here are some situations where you might want to take off your silver:
- In the pool, hot tub, and sauna
- In the bath or shower
- Using cleaning supplies
- During physical activities
- When getting ready
Most of these situations expose your jewelry to moisture or chemicals - both of which can cause tarnishing! Tarnishing is when your jewelry loses its luster and shine. I hate when this happens to my jewelry and I’m sure you don’t want it happening to yours either. Hopefully with all these tips I am going to share, you can keep your jewelry like sterling silver studs and sterling silver ear cuffs tarnish free for years to come!
Oh No - I Wore My Silver In the Ocean!
Don’t worry! One ocean swim will not ruin your silver forever. However, as a good rule of thumb, I would avoid getting your silver wet. Repetitive exposure to water - whether it be from the ocean, the pool, or the tub - could cause your jewelry to tarnish.
If you happen to forget to remove your jewelry before getting it wet, be sure to dry it off completely once you remember.
Don’t Put Your Silver on Yet
When you’re getting ready, it’s typical to use things that are good for your skin, but may be harmful to your sterling silver hoop earrings. These are things like lotion, perfume, makeup, and hair products. They may contain substances that could react with your silver and cause tarnish. To keep your jewelry looking shiny for longer, put your jewelry on last when getting ready.
Where Should I Keep It?
How you store your jewelry is also important for its longevity. Here are a few easy steps that can keep your jewelry looking fab, not drab.
The ideal storage situation is somewhere:
- Airtight - Any airtight container will do. It could be a sleek jewelry storage bag/case or something as simple as a Ziploc bag. Trust me, your jewelry will thank you.
- Individual - Storing your pieces in separate containers will prevent them from scratching or getting tangled with each other.
- Cool, Dark, & Dry - Sunlight, heat, and moisture can all speed up tarnishing. You can store your jewelry with chalk or silica packs as these will absorb moisture from the air.
- Lined with Anti-Tarnish Strips or Cloths - These can absorb sulfur and moisture from the air and keep your jewelry looking stunning.
The most important part about caring for your new sterling silver jewelry is to make sure that you enjoy it! Wear your jewelry with confidence! After all, it’s going to look so good for so long now that you know how to take care of it.